Sunday, February 1, 2009

One of life's experiences: Dark Meat @ Billiken Club


On Saturday night, I experienced an absolute euphoria of energy, sound, and excitement. I was one of few who got to see Dark Meat with Bunnygrunt at the Billiken Club, for free. If you know anything about them, you can expect the show to be insane, but they took it even beyond that. Jim Mchugh and his 12 comrades from Athens, (just the one in Georgia) set up on an expanded stage and proceeded to get covered in warpaint. By the way, all of the people in this band are incredible people. They began the set by asking for requests, Linhares shouted "Dead Man" and I shouted "Well Fuck You Then" and Mchugh yelled back some jargon about not doing CCR songs, thats when I knew i really liked him. The first song built up slowly to a pummeling wall of sound that was melodic and spiritual to a tee. My friends and I were going insane when Mchugh gave me a nod and fulfilled my request, busting into one of the loudest songs I have ever heard. My eardrums were popping in and out as I skipped, kicked, jumped, and clapped. I do not remember most of the melodies or names of from set, but it was one of the most joyous times of my life. I wore down by the fourth song (we didnt stop spastically dancing the whole show) and so they picked me back up with confetti, blunt humor, and killer riffs; yes they were killer riffs. The connection I felt between the members of this band was what makes live shows the best. Everyone was so fun to watch. I reached my highest excitement when Mchugh pointed me up to the stage and handed me his guitar. The strap kept falling, feedback dominated, and it took a bit to figure out what was going on. But I was enjoying music more than I ever have and once I figured it out, I yelled and played while looking out at Austin, Quinn, and Will who had tambourines and were just swell. We layered two songs in D and ended by hammering the chords into an endless bliss. We couldnt hear well again for a day and I dont think Austin has recovered yet. One of the best things that has ever happened to me. I love you dark Meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment